Thursday, February 21, 2008

So, I'm finished with my comp for Assignment 1, and I have to admit that I think I might hate it...so on to Assignment 2. I wrote this for/in the style of Complex Magazine. That means I'd love feedback from the guys out there. Is it man enough for you? It's also too long. So if it drags in any spots let me know.

All Bets Are Off

Back in June Adam Ryan celebrated his retirement at a pub a few blocks from his Center City apartment. Raising a pint, he drank to the end of 6 am, to no more deadlocked traffic on Philadelphia’s Schuylkill Expressway and no longer working. The 26-year-old former engineer was now a professional poker player.
 The decision to quit his job played out slowly over a year and a half. Work left him restless and unfulfilled. He wanted a life that was about more than just “grinding out a living,” he says. But in early 2007, his wife, Joy, was hesitant. As time passed and he became increasingly withdrawn, Joy agreed he needed a change. He spent the next three months determining if it would be financially feasible, playing 50,000 hands of low-stakes hold ‘em to see if he could make enough money consistently to cover their expenses before giving his notice.
 Since then, he’s enjoyed the life of a poker player: roll out of bed around 10 am, make coffee, check e-mail, eat breakfast, screw around online for a while. He hits the tables by 12 or 1, playing four to eight tables at a time. After 1500 hands, roughly three to four hours later, he packs it in.
 He also has a policy for triaging the inevitable down swing. “If I get down $1000 for the day,” Ryan says, “I shut down and get out of the house.” Recently he broke this rule and followed a bad player to a higher limit table. He risked a lot of money on a pot with a pair of pocket kings. His opponent had pocket aces. He ended the day down $3500, the most he’s lost in a day since going pro.
 Despite occasional down swings and bad beats, the money he makes playing poker has given him a chance to escape his job and the opportunity to explore other interests such as photography. “I don’t want to be playing cards in five years,” says Ryan. “Right now, I’m enjoying the freedom of not having to work, but I can only play poker for so long before burning out.” He hopes to use the time to explore ways he can make money while doing things he really enjoys.

No comments: